- Don’t care for the anise flavor of fennel? Don’t fret- keep the crunch by trading it out for celery.
- Don’t have any black beans in the pantry? No sweat- any type of beans would work well, as would any type of lentils.
- No lemon? No prob- use the juice from an orange, clementine, grapefruit, or any other citrus fruit.
- No red cabbage? Instead rev up the flavor with radicchio.
1 bulb fresh fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red cabbage shredded (time saving tip: to save time, use a bag of shredded cabbage with carrots)
¼1/2 cup carrots shredded
½1/2 avocado cut into small cubes
14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
Zest and juice from 1 small lemon
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized bowl, toss together the fennel, cabbage, carrots, avocado and beans.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, zest and mustard.
- Drizzle dressing on top of salad, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat.