Fava beans anyone? I’m gonna guess that mentioning fava beans conjures up some pretty gross images from the Silence of the Lambs movie, and because of that you wouldn’t dare eat them…am I right? Too bad, because these beans are big, bold and beautiful. Full of fiber, folate, protein, iron, copper, manganese and phosphorus, it’s a shame not to enjoy them right now while they are in season.
This Spinach, Fava and Feta Salad is a party in your mouth with all the goodness that late spring has to offer. The grain I used is Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains Blend. This is outta-this-world good tasting and good-for-you stuff! It‘s a blend of Israeli couscous, orzo, garbanzo beans and red quinoa. If you do not have a Trader Joe’s close to you, using any couscous, brown rice or other grain would work just as well.
The feta was marinated in garlic, olive oil and a hint of crushed red pepper. If you can find marinated feta at your market, go for it. Otherwise just add olive oil and minced garlic to spunk it up a bit.
For more spring produce selections that are now popping up, check out Cooking Light’s spring produce guide for more ways to “spring clean your diet”.
Oh! and before you go...
Blogger Spotlight: Sharon Hepburn at The Inner Connection
Sharon is a good friend that has been practicing holistic medicine since 1999. She just recently expanded her social media exposure by starting a blog and Facebook page for her company, The Inner Connection. The Inner Connection helps individuals find ways to advance their life journey through physical, emotional and spiritual healing techniques. Sharon is one smart cookie and has an interesting philosophy and perspective on wellness. While Eating Local in the Lou is food for the body, The Inner Connection is food for the soul! Check out The Inner Connection blog and Facebook page and show her some love!
Spinach, Fava and Feta Salad (recipe inspired by http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3098)
- 1/2 package Harvest Grains Blend from Trader Joe's (or any grain such as couscous, quinoa, farro, brown rice)
- 1 pound fava (broad) beans (ours from Green BEAN delivery). Lima beans would work too
- 1/2 pound spinach (ours from Green BEAN delivery)
- 1/2 cup feta (ours came from Local Harvest Grocery)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (only add if you can't find marinated feta)
- 1 can black olives, drained
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped (from my garden- I can't kill it no matter how hard I try!)
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Cook Harvest Grains (or grain of choice) according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, pop fava beans out of pod and place in boiling pot of water for about 2 minutes.
- Place spinach in a colander, drain fava beans over spinach to wilt spinach.
- Take outer skin off beans.
- Toss together all ingredients.
- Let the party in your mouth begin!