So, what would you make?
These were the actual basket ingredients for the first round of the Chopped at Home Challenge, presented by Sargento. Last week, someone very near and dear to me (love you Mom!) encouraged me to enter the Chopped at Home Challenge. I thought to myself, why not? So I quickly dreamed up a recipe, drove to the market to get the ingredients, cooked it, took pics of it, submitted it, and served it that night for dinner.
My dish: Chicken and Orzo Stuffed Red Peppers. I used the Greek yogurt as part of a marinade to keep the chicken juicy and tender. The chicken, orzo and cheese, along with a few other flavorful ingredients, really made a great “stuffing” for the red peppers. In fact, after filling the peppers, a good amount of the filling was left-over, which made for a delightful lunch the next day!
I’m gonna tell ya, even if this recipe doesn't make me a Chopped Champion, watching my family gobble it up and go back for more? Well, that makes me feel like even a bigger winner!
Wanna give the Chopped At Home Challenge a try for yourself? Go to FoodNetwork.com/ChoppedChallenge to find out what the next basket of ingredients are and to submit your recipe for a chance to win!
Chicken and Orzo Stuffed Red Peppers
2 chicken breasts
½1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. olive oil (divided)
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp each salt and pepper
½1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup orzo
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
½ 1/4 cup tomato sauce
3 red peppers, cut in half, seeds and ribs removed
6 ounces Sargento Chef Blends 6 Cheese Italian Shredded Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add chicken pieces to yogurt mixture and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- While chicken marinates, cook orzo in a large pot of boiling water for about 7 minutes (before fully cooked). Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil on medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In same skillet, add marinated chicken and cook until almost fully cooked, about 7 minutes. Add tomato sauce and sauteed onion/garlic mixture and heat through for an additional minute.
- Assemble stuffed peppers: in a casserole dish, lay peppers on side; add cooked chicken mixture, top each pepper with about 1 ounce of Sargento Chef Blends 6 Cheese Italian cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.