Why make pudding from scratch when you can just buy instant pudding mixes at the market you ask? Well, for one, have ya looked at the ingredients in an instant pudding? Half of the ingredients are stabilizers that I can hardly pronounce and certainly do not want to eat. Plus, homemade almost always tastes better.
Question: what food do you prefer making from scratch rather than purchasing ready-made?
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup fat free half and half
2 ounces dark chocolate chips (60% cacao or more preferred)
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
chopped peanuts and sliced bananas for topping
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and cocoa in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in milk and half and half, and bring to a slight boil over medium heat, continually stirring until thickens.
- Remove from heat, add in chocolate and peanut butter; stir until smooth.
- Spoon pudding into 8 individual serving bowls and allow to cool in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, top with crushed roasted peanuts and sliced bananas.