Whew! Things are bit hectic here in the Lou! How about you? Is your spring-time schedule packed? The few weeks leading up to summer break always seem to be chaotic. From end-of-year school musicals, district playoffs and sport banquets, band performances and award ceremonies, every-single-night is busy! Each year I do my best to anticipate the upbeat in tempo, and try to be prepared for the storm of spring activity before the calm of summer sets in.
This Farro, Feta and Spring Peas dish comes together in a flash and helps keep the family nourished during these fast-and-furious weeks. The combination of farro, feta, peas, lemon and toasted almonds can be enjoyed as a meatless main or as a salad/side, depending on your crew’s appetite.
image from traderjoes.comFarro is a nutritionally dense grain with a nutty flavor, a nice chew and is quite versatile. It can be swapped in most recipes calling for other grains or rice. And to cut down on prep time, Trader Joe's carries a 10 Minute Farro that cooks up in, well, 10 minutes!
Farro, Feta and Spring Peas (4 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook farro according to package directions. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add peas to cooking water. Drain any excess liquid and allow to cool. Transfer to large bowl.
- Add in mint, almonds, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and feta; toss and serve.