I come from a rather small family with just one brother and a handful of cousins. My husband's clan, however is much bigger with 5 siblings and too-many-to-count cousins. Over the years the Cowie family has expanded even more with the addition of grandchildren, making for wild and crazy get-togethers.
Every year in June, the majority of the Cowie Clan road trip to the Gulf Coast to enjoy time together, soaking up the sun and playing on the beach.
To celebrate this memorable trip, I made Spinach Pea Salad with Grilled Shrimp using shrimp from the Gulf, vinegar from my homemade batch and spinach and mint from my garden. My spinach crop this year was meager and soon went to seed before getting very big, but I was at least able to gather up enough for this salad.
The grilled pita bread made lovely croutons and was a great way to use up some leftover pita I had in the refrigerator turning stale-ish. The whole mixture was light but filling, flavorful and healthy!
Another year will pass before the Cowie Crew all vacation together again…but we won't let another go by before making this dish again!
Spinach Pea Salad with Grilled Shrimp and Pita Croutons (adapted from a recipe in June 2012 issue of Cooking Light)
1 cup frozen peas
1 whole wheat pita
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
zest of 1 lemon (about 1 ½ tsp)
pepper to taste
1 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
½ cup red onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
2 cups fresh baby spinach
¼ cup feta cheese
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Microwave frozen peas for about 2 minutes.
3. Open pita, spray with cooking spray, grill for 1 minute each side. Remove from grill, cool, break into pieces
4. Combine 1 Tbsp. oil, 1 tsp lemon zest, pepper and shrimp in a small bowl. Toss to coat then grill for 2 minutes on each side.
5. Combine remaining oil, lemon zest, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, peas, onion, mint and spinach; toss to coat.
6. Divide salad mixture, shrimp and pita among 4 plates, top with feta cheese.