This Monday is Earth Day- a day to honor and respect Mother Earth. Perhaps it’s a perfect time to make an “Earth Day Resolution” to do something, even something seemingly small, to make a difference. Here are just a few ideas:
- Harvest the rain that pours on our rooftops, gushes out of our gutters, and temporarily overflows our lawns, into rain barrels and use it to water plants during a dry spell.
- Repurpose or recycle what we can from the garbage that we roll out to the curb each week and discard.
- Purchase from small businesses to help nourish our local economy rather than feed the mega stores.
- Compost our fresh table scraps and regenerate them into something nourishing for our plants and soil (yet when tossed in the garbage it gets mixed and turned into just more waste).
- Prepare more plant-based meals (with little or no meat) to significantly reduce the energy and waste that goes into producing our meats.
This Vegan Mock Tuna Salad is a plant-based meal that is incredibly easy to prepare in less than five minutes. The recipe calls for kelp powder- an unusual ingredient, but it’s what makes this mixture taste like tuna and significantly boosts the nutritional profile. I purchased my kelp powder at a local shop that sells herbs but you might find it at a supplement shop or online. If you aren't keen on kelp, you could skip it, or try with a dried nori sheet on top.
Are you making an Earth Day Resolution? I’d love to hear about it!
Oh, and before you go, thanks to everyone that entered last week’s giveaway! Please help me congratulate Kathy D. as the winner of the four-pound bag of Zulka pure cane sugar. I sure hope to have more giveaways in the future so stay tuned.
Vegan Mock Tuna Salad
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans (cannellini, Great Northern or navy)
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- course black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. kelp powder (ours came from Cheryl's Herbs)
- 6 ciabatta buns (or any bread or wrap)
- Drain and rinse beans. In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients. With a masher, lightly mash until ingredients are incorporated and blended. Serve on a bun with lettuce and choice of fix-ins.