This weekend marks two years since starting Eating Local in the Lou! Gosh, in some ways it just doesn’t seem possible that it’s only been two years since my first blog post. I have learned so much along the way, from writing html codes, to tips on improving food photography, and learning to be social on social media.
I have met some amazing people along the journey, both in person and virtually. I have had a few “ups”, such as winning $1000 for an original Turkey Burger recipe. And I’ve had my share of “downs”, such as posts that took hours to write, only to have a select few view (read: mom and close friends). Mostly, I have experienced a lot of joy along the way and I anticipate more in the posts to come.
To celebrate Eating Local in the Lou’s 2nd Bloggiversary, I made Mango Frozen Yogurt with Honey Sugar and Salted Pistachios. Although mangos are not local (and never will be where we live), they are seasonal, and super cheap right now. You see, in my mind, eating locally and sustainably shouldn’t mean completely banning foods that aren’t grown close to home. I simply can’t imagine life without bananas, coconut or coffee, can you? Denying one’s self and family of foods just because they are only grown in the tropics would be a shame and would steal some of the joy of cooking.
Rather, eating locally and sustainably to me signifies a lifestyle in which foods are purchased, prepared and enjoyed with thought: keeping in mind where foods originate and being mindful of who produced the food; having an idea of how the food was treated and making thechoice to not buy foods heavily sprayed with pesticides, genetically modified, or meat was given hormones and antibiotics...and making a point to buy what's local when available.
So, here's to YOU for reading along, for joining me on this journey and helping me celebrate another year of blogging!
Until next time…
Mango Frozen Yogurt with Honey Sugar and Salted Pistachios
- 1 quart container plain Greek yogurt (we happen to really like Chobani)
- 1 cup honey sugar (or 3/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 honey)
- zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 fresh mangos
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup salted pistachios, rough chopped
- Peel mangos, cut from pit and chop. Add to blender along with yogurt, lemon zest and juice, salt and heavy cream. Blend until combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When mixture is frozen, transfer to freezer-safe container. When ready to serve, top with chopped pistachios and enjoy!