Just imagine…you are in a deep body of water and the only way to survive is to tread or swim…for an hour…all the while being dunked, scratched, kicked and pulled. This scenario describes what my son endures nearly every spring day while playing the sport he loves: water polo. It is one intense game. Dang, I get exhausted just watching!
This weekend, his team had a tournament and it was my turn to bring snacks. Sure, I could have purchased prepackaged bars or treats for the team but that wouldn't have been as much fun! Instead, I wanted to make something that would help replenish the nutrients they would expend during the game and allow them to refuel for the next round.
My friend Lori shared a version of this Power Packed Protein Bar recipe with me. I knew this would be the ideal snack for this group of water polo playing teenagers with voracious appetites!
These bars are made with 5 simple and wholesome ingredients. They are concentrated in protein, fiber and many vitamins and minerals, making them incredibly healthy. At about 200 calories per bar, they may not be a choice for those following a very low-calorie diet plan. But anyone looking for a nutrient-rich, power-packed nutrition bar to help with endurance and sustained energy throughout the day, these are perfect!
The results of the tourney? Our kids ended up in the championship round. Great job team!
Power Packed Protein Bars
- 2 cups creamy or crunchy peanut butter (we used Shirk's Country Market, Centertown, MO)
- 1 cup honey (we used Pure Jackson-Mills honey, St. Louis, MO)
- 1/2 cup protein powder, any flavor (we used Juice Plus Complete chocolate flavor)
- 2 cups oats (we used Shirk's Country Market, Centertown, MO)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries or raisins (or any dried fruit really)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter and honey, and microwave until melted, about 1 min.
- Add in protein powder, oats and dried fruit of choice. Mix well.
- Line 9x13 pan with waxed paper. Press bar mixture into pan.
- Chill for 1 hour, cut into 18 squares.