This dish takes very little time to prep and would make a splendid meatless meal for breakfast, dinner or any time of the day. We served ours over basmati rice and sprinkled with feta, because you know- everything is betta with feta!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large jalapeño chile, cored, seeded, and minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp each: paprika, chili powder, cumin
- 1/2½ tsp. caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2¼ cup fresh spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup feta
- harissa or other hot sauce (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onions, garlic, and peppers; sauté over medium heat, 5-7 minutes until softened. Stir in tomato paste and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in diced tomatoes. Stir in sugar, paprika, chili powder, cumin, caraway, salt and pepper, and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- Layer the spinach leaves on top; crack the eggs into the tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.
- Sprinkle with feta and hot sauce (if prefer it a bit spicier) and serve.